Midy helps you prove that you are who you say you are…
Midy makes it simpler and safer to verify and prove your identity online. We perform document and face checks against accepted government-issued photo IDs and then enable you to securely store that document’s information in Midy. We refer to the information we stored from your document as ‘Extracted ID information’. Learn more about these features.
in a privacy-preserving way…
We offer a service that helps you to prove your identity in a privacy-preserving way. This means that when you consent to share information with a Midy partner (e.g. a social media provider), only the information that is needed by that partner for the current transaction will be provided and no additional identity information will be shared. The documents you add to Midy for proving your identity are not shared with the partners. Learn more about these features.
while you stay in control of your ID.
Midy will ask for your consent before providing any information related to you (referred to below as ‘confirmations’) and will tell you which organization will receive that information. Once verified, your identity data is securely stored in Midy and under your control. Data extracted from your ID can only be accessed when you authorize us to help you with a verification. You can delete your Midy account and the Extracted ID information will be permanently removed. Learn more about these features.
In this policy “we”, “us”, etc. refers to NortonLifeLock Foreign Holding II Inc.
Main Features of the Service
In today’s digital world, people are often asked to prove their identity to be able to use online services. Frequent examples include online shopping, loans, social media, banking, insurance, and health services. This identity proofing is commonly done by presenting a document that states a legal name (for example by uploading a scan of a state or government issued ID or driver’s license). This process often reveals more personal information than is necessary, such as when full identity information is shared while the online service provider only wants to know that you are not a bot or that you are above a certain age.
We believe it should be easy to verify you are a real person and at the same time to keep control over your data in the digital world. So we designed Midy to help you prove the information in online transactions without sharing unnecessary identity details. Read below for more information about how the Midy verification service works.
Midy helps to prove that you are who you say you are by carrying out document and facial biometric checks. The partner that you agree to share the requested confirmation with (e.g., confirmation that you are a real person) does not have access to your ID, photos or videos taken during the verification process or any other ID details. It receives only the information that you agree to share with them. For example, a confirmation from Midy if the identity verification was successful or not – without sharing any detailed personal data. Midy will show you the information the partner asks for. In order to carry out the verification, the partner shares with us an identifier (e.g. your account handle).
Document verification and information
Identity verification is backed by document checks against accepted government-issued photo IDs. Document checks are done in cooperation with our service provider Onfido Inc. We analyze the document (which may include machine-readable zones, barcodes, QR codes and security chips) to verify that the document is genuine and to detect fraud. We extract relevant information from the document to create a Verified ID (see Midy Account section for more information) and to send confirmations requested by a partner. To carry out the checks and extract the information, the document is kept for 48 hours in Onfido’s systems and then it is deleted from their systems.
Facial Biometric Checks and Authentication
Face scan photos or videos and biometric identifiers are kept only when performing biometric checks and are deleted once the check and associated review processes are complete (no later than in 48 hours from the moment they are captured). Read our Biometrics Notice for more information about biometric data processing.
A partner may ask to check if your first name and last name used in their service matches the name on your ID document. We extract the first name and last name from your ID and match it against the first name and last name provided by the partner. The only feedback the partner receives is the ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer to whether the names match or not. We use various matching techniques to determine if names match with a sufficient level of certainty. In some cases, the match does not have to be perfect and there may be slight differences between the name used in the partners’ services and your ID.
A partner may ask to verify if you meet certain age requirements. For example, online retailers and service providers may be legally obligated to incorporate age verification in their pre-sale checks or services. To determine your age, we process the information about your date of birth from your ID. The feedback provided to the partner is limited to confirming whether you are on or over the requested threshold (e.g., 18+ years old) or within a certain age range (e.g., 18 to 25 years old).
Data processing details
Categories of data processed
|To carry out the identity check||Extracted ID information – personal information extracted from your Verified ID, for example name, document number, date of birth, nationality, type of document, issuing country, expiration date, information embedded in barcodes, QR codes, security chips and features (which will vary depending on the type of document).||Service provision|
|Photo/video – may include images, videos and/or sound recordings of you and related image metadata||Service provision|
|Face scan data – facial scan data and numerical biometric data calculated from it||Service provision, consent for biometric data|
|To perform the name check||Name – first name, last name provided by a partner requesting the name check against your ID||Service provision|
|To perform the age verification||Age – date of birth, age range||Service provision|
|To enable further verifications and rechecks||ID image – image of your identity document||Service provision|
|To establish the connection between your identity, document and partner that asked for the verification||Identifiers – information relating to you as a user, your installed Midy app, Verified IDs, partners and confirmations||Service provision|
Duration of the processing: Extracted ID information, partner account handle and photos of your IDs are available in Midy and you can delete them anytime. You can either delete a specific identity document directly from within your Midy or you can go to the app settings and delete your Midy account including all identity documents. Photos or videos and face scan data are only used until the completion of the whole verification process and are not stored beyond that. Identifiers are processed for the duration of the account.
Selected categories of data are archived for legal, compliance and security reasons for 3 years (read more in the Legal, compliance and security section).
Midy helps partners detect misuse or other similar irregular activities (e.g. excessive use of verified accounts). To do that, we create a connection between the verified ID and the user of the platform.
Data processing details
Categories of data processed
|To help check if an identity or a document has not been misused (e.g. used multiple times without justification)||Identifiers – information relating to you as a user, your installed Midy app, Verified IDs, partners and confirmations||Legitimate interest|
Duration of the processing: we process Identifiers for this purpose for 3 years after the account is deleted.
Midy requires that you sign up to the service and establish an account. To set up the account we will ask for your email address or phone number to use as your account username, as well as to send you a verification code. To help protect the account we use both passkey authentication process and local device authentication, where the system will ask you to unlock your device, preferably using biometric identification (such as a fingerprint or facial recognition).
You can view your Verified IDs and information extracted from these documents such as your name, surname, date of birth, address, nationality, type of document, issuing country, issuance/expiration date. The precise extent of the data depends on a particular ID that you will choose to use. You will also find an image of the ID document with your photo in Midy. Transactions records (e.g. that a confirmation was provided to a partner) are logged.
Your data is backed up in the Midy cloud where all your data is encrypted with a security key that is accessible only from your device. The cloud technology allows you to link multiple devices to your account and synchronize data across them. You can also generate recovery codes to be able to recover access to your account via the Midy cloud, for example, in case you lose your device.
Data processing details
Categories of data processed
|To create the account and enable verification||Contacts – Email address, phone number||Service provision|
|To maintain the account and enable the related verification services||Extracted ID information – Personal information extracted from your Verified ID, for example name, document number, date of birth, nationality, type of document, issuing country, expiration date, information embedded in barcodes, QR codes, security chips and features (which will vary depending on the type of document)||Service provision|
|Identifiers – information relating to you as a user, your installed Midy app, Verified IDs, partners and confirmations.||Service provision|
|Security keys generated and stored on the user’s device only||Service provision|
|ID image – Image of your identity document||Service provision|
|Transaction records – account-related events (creation, acceptance of terms, sign-in), verification-related events (e.g. process started/stopped/failed/completed), Verified ID-related events (e.g. Verified ID created/deleted), partner-related events (request received, response sent).||Service provision|
Duration of the processing: Extracted ID information and ID images are available in Midy and you can delete them anytime. You can either delete a specific identity document directly from within your Midy or you can go to the app settings and delete your Midy account including all identity documents. Contacts, Identifiers and Transaction records are processed in our systems for the duration of the account.
Selected categories of data are archived for legal, compliance and security reasons for 3 years (read more in the Legal, compliance and security section).
Other processing activities
Aside from providing you with the Midy services, we also process your personal data for additional reasons. These concern our ability to conduct our business activities in compliance with both regulations and our partners’ and users’ expectations, and to ensure you can access our services quickly, easily – and most important of all – securely. Here are the details of this additional processing.
Metrics and analytics
We will analyze data for the following purposes:
- Contractual obligations – to calculate the number of users signed up, to track the number of users for each business partner and the transactions performed in each month associated with each partner and to check consistency and validity of the calculations.
- Business Intelligence – to measure the progress of Midy (number of installs, registrations, transactions) and its adoption across various countries and time, and to check consistency and validity of data.
Information used: Identifiers, Transaction records
Legal basis: Service provision, legitimate interests (for aggregate business intelligence)
Duration of storage: 2 years (aggregated non-personal data may be used further for reporting and maintaining business records)
Communication with customers (feedback, support)
We process data:
- To provide you with service information, customer and technical support;
- To collect customer feedback.
Information used: Contacts, Transaction records, information provided by you within the communication (e.g. information relating to your ID, identifiers, descriptions of the issue)
Legal basis: Service provision, consent for voluntary surveys and feedback collection
Duration of storage: 3 years
Legal, compliance and security
As a business we have to ensure necessary internal administrative and commercial processes (e.g. finances, business intelligence, legal & compliance, information security etc.), prove our services and transactions were carried out properly and, if necessary, defend our rights.
Information used: Identifiers, Transaction records, Contacts, Communications, Location approximated from the IP address
Legal basis: Legal obligations, Legitimate interest
Duration of storage: 3 years (IP address is kept for 48 hours only)
How We Use Other Providers
Twilio helps us with the authentication of your email address or phone number. They deliver a security code to you during the account creation, and they keep audit logs containing either an email address or phone number with a timestamp.
Onfido helps us verify users’ identity, carry out document and face checks and provide user authentication services (see the Main features section for more detail).
Data of users residing in the United Kingdom or the European Economic Area are transferred to Onfido on the basis of standard contractual clauses.
Other service providers
These service providers may include external customer support providers, professional consultants including to defend or to exercise our rights, and software suppliers such as office apps providers.
How We Store and Transfer Your Personal Data
We are a global business that provides products and services all around the world. The servers that are part of this infrastructure may therefore be located in a country different from the one where you live. In particular, we store data in the Amazon Web Services cloud platform (read their privacy information).
We retain the data only as long as needed to provide our services , or where it’s necessary to protect our legitimate interests and rights – as well as the rights of our users or service providers. The respective retention periods are always subject to maximum time frames imposed by applicable laws. Specific retention periods are described in the Main features and Other processing activities sections. Where we have a legitimate legal reason, we may also store information for longer than described above – for example, where we are under a binding legal order not to destroy information.
How We Disclose Your Personal Data
We have an internal policy and process to make sure that we only disclose personal data when it is legitimate and compliant with the applicable laws. If we do not have access to your personal data (e.g. when it is stored only locally on your device) or if it is encrypted, and we do not have the decryption key, we cannot provide any information.
Where we have access to personal data we may disclose it: (a) to our contractors and service providers as described above, (b) to any governmental authority where required by law, (c) in response to a court order, subpoena, discovery rule, or other lawful request, (d) as otherwise required under any applicable law, rule, or regulation, (e) in good faith, if an investigation is required (for example, as a result of a potential privacy breach or unauthorized transaction(s)), or (f) to protect or defend our rights or property or those of other persons.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Restructurings
Like any other company, we too go through our own cycle of growth, expansion, streamlining and optimization. Our business decisions and market developments affect our structure. As a result of such transactions, we may transfer your personal data to a related affiliate in order to maintain our relationship with you and continue providing you services.
If we are involved in a reorganization, merger, acquisition or sale of our assets, your personal data may be transferred as part of that transaction. We will notify you of any such deal and outline your choices in that event, when applicable. Information, including personal data relating to our business, may be shared with other parties in order to evaluate and conclude the transaction. This would also be the case if we were required by law to make such changes.
You have the following rights regarding the processing of your personal data:
- Right to information: Right to receive information about the processing of your personal data, prior to processing as well as during the processing, upon request.
- Right of access: You have the right to receive a copy of your personal data that is processed by us.
- Right to rectification: We should process accurate personal data; if you discover inaccuracy, you have the right to seek correction of inaccurate personal data.
- Right to erasure (“right to be forgotten”): You have the right to erasure of your personal data, but only in specific cases stipulated by law, e.g., if there is no legally recognized title on our part for further processing of your personal data (incl. protection of our legitimate interests and rights).
- Right to data portability: You have the right to receive personal data which you have provided and is being processed on the basis of consent or where it is necessary for the purpose of conclusion and performance of a contract, in machine-readable format. This right applies exclusively to personal data where processing is carried out by automated means.
- Right to object: Applies to cases of processing carried out in legitimate interest. You have the right to object to such processing, on grounds relating to your particular situation, and we are required to assess the processing in order to ensure compliance with all legally binding rules and applicable regulations. In case of direct marketing, we shall cease processing personal data for such purposes after the objection.
- Right to withdraw consent: In the case of processing based on your consent you can withdraw your consent at any time, by using the same method (if technically possible) you used to provide it to us (the exact method will be described in more detail with each consent when you provide it). The withdrawal of consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent before its withdrawal.
- Right to restriction of processing: You have the right to restriction of processing of your personal data if: (i) you are contesting the accuracy of your personal data, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of your personal data; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of the personal data and request the restriction of its use instead; (iii) we no longer need the personal data for the purposes of the processing, but they are required by you for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to processing of your personal data, and there is a pending verification whether our legitimate grounds override your interests.
- Right to contact a supervisory authority: You may lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
You can submit your requests relating to your data subject rights through our contacts described below (Contact Us).
The fulfillment of your rights listed above will depend on the category of personal data and the processing activity. In all cases, we strive to fulfill your request. We will action your request within the time frames set by the applicable laws. When we are faced with an unusually large number of requests or particularly complicated requests, the time limit may be extended in accordance with the applicable laws. If we fail to meet these deadlines, we would, of course, prefer that you contact us to resolve the situation informally.
If you are a California resident, you may have certain additional privacy rights (see below).
California Privacy Rights
This section applies to you if you are a resident of the state of California, and it explains your privacy rights, as well as other information about our treatment of California residents’ information.
Information about processing
- Categories of collected personal information. To provide our services and for other business purposes described in this policy, we collect certain categories of your personal information. You can see all of these categories listed in the Main features and Other processing activities sections. Generally, these categories include identifiers and contact information; customer records information (transaction records) and account log-in; characteristics of protected classifications (e.g. when you ask us to verify your age); ID information including driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number; device/network data and geolocation data; biometric information (facial recognition data) used for the verification services; audio/visual information (images, videos and audio recordings); inferences drawn from other information. Midy is not targeted at minors under 16 years of age. We do not use or disclose your sensitive personal information for purposes other than the limited purposes permitted by the California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Sources from which the personal information is collected. Our primary source of your personal information is you – we collect this information when you provide it in a form, for instance, when you’re signing up for an account, when you upload ID documents or when you communicate with us. Certain information related to your identity verification and ID data is provided by our verification service providers (identity check results). Technical identifiers and transaction records are created automatically when you set up your account or when you use the verification service. For security, metrics, analytics and business intelligence purposes, we may create or infer additional information from the collected information.
- Business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling personal information. You can find all our purposes for processing your personal information in the Main features and Other processing activities sections.
- Categories of third parties with whom the business discloses, sells, or shares personal information. You can find categories of recipients of personal information listed in the How We Use Other Providers section. Midy does not sell or share (as such terms are defined in the California Consumer Privacy Act) your personal information. The third–party recipients may include external customer support providers (categories of data used: identifiers, contact details, customer records, commercial information, characteristics of protected classifications – age, app activity information); professional consultants including to defend or to exercise our rights (categories of data used: identifiers, contact details, customer records, commercial information, characteristics of protected classifications – age, app activity information); cloud storage providers (categories of data used: identifiers, contact details, customer records, commercial information, characteristics of protected classifications – age, app activity information and software suppliers such as office apps providers (categories of data used: identifiers, contact details, customer records, commercial information).
- How long we store your personal information. You can find retention periods for specific categories of data in the Main features and Other processing activities sections.
You have the right to:
- know what personal information is being collected about you and how it’s processed;
- know whether your personal information is sold, shared or disclosed, and to whom;
- request that we correct the personal information we have about you that is incorrect;
- say no to the sale or sharing of your personal information (right to opt out). In that respect, we’d like to note that Midy app does not sell or share personal information, nor has it sold or shared any personal information in the past 12 months – of either adults or minors under the age of 16.
- limit the use and disclosure of your sensitive personal information;
- request deletion of your personal information; information will be deleted if no exception applies (including our right to defend our lawful interests);
- access your personal information; specific information shall be provided in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, in a readily useable format but not more than twice in a 12-month period;
- non-retaliation, including the right to receive equal service and price, even if you exercise your privacy rights (also known as the right to non-discrimination).
Right To Opt Out Of Sale or Sharing
Midy app does not sell or share your personal information. That being said, if you have any questions or concerns about the use of your personal information, do feel free to submit a privacy request following the instructions below.
You can submit your requests using contacts indicated below in the Contact Us section. We may ask you to provide information to verify your request and related account. You can also designate an authorized agent to exercise these rights on your behalf. We may require that you provide the authorized agent with written permission to act on your behalf and that the authorized agent verify their identity directly with us.
To exercise any of your rights, or if you have any other questions or complaints about our use of your Personal Data and its privacy, write our Privacy Team through the most convenient channel below:
You can submit your privacy requests through our email at email@example.com.
If you prefer, you can send paper mail to NortonLifeLock Foreign Holding II Inc., 60 East Rio Salado Parkway, Suite 1000, Tempe AZ 85281. Be sure to write “Attention: MIDY PRIVACY” in the address so we know where to direct your correspondence.
We’ll update this policy whenever we make material changes to our practices, and we’ll announce it to let you know. We hope you’ll find any changes agreeable, but if you’re not comfortable with changes to the info we collect or how we use it, we understand your choice to stop using our service.